Who can get vaccinated and how – August 27 2021
The COVID-19 vaccine is free for everyone in New Zealand. You will be offered the vaccine if you are aged 12 or over — it does not matter what your visa or citizenship status is.
Who can book now
- If you are aged 30 or over, or you are in Groups 1, 2, or 3, you can book your vaccinations now.
- Parents or guardians who are eligible to book for a vaccination can also book in a vaccination for any 12 to 15-year-olds in their family.
- People under the age of 12 are not able to get the Pfizer vaccine at this stage.
- The Pfizer vaccine has been shown to be highly effective and safe in people aged over 65 years. If you are aged 65 or over, you can book your vaccination now.
- If you have had a serious or immediate allergic reaction to any vaccine or injection in the past, discuss this with your vaccinator.
- If you are unwell on the day of your appointment, you will need to reschedule it. You can be vaccinated once you are well again.
- You should have the vaccine, even if you have had COVID-19. You should wait at least 4 weeks after you recover before getting the vaccine.
- You can get your COVID-19 vaccination at any stage of your pregnancy. We encourage you to get vaccinated because while you are pregnant you can become very sick if you get COVID-19. There are no safety concerns about getting the Pfizer vaccine while you are breastfeeding.
How to book your Covid19 vaccination
You can book over the phone by calling the COVID Vaccination Healthline on 0800 28 29 26. All calls are free, and the team are available from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. You can ask for an interpreter if you need one.
You might have to wait a little while before your call is answered, as the lines can be busy — please be patient. Once your call is answered, it will take around 15 minutes to book your appointments.
When you call, it is a good idea to have your NHI (National Health Index) number ready. This will make the booking process quicker. You can find your NHI number on a prescription, x-ray or test result, or a letter from the hospital.
Booking online through Book My Vaccine is the quickest way to make your vaccination appointments. The website is available in English and Maori only. You can follow these steps:
1. Go to: https://bookmyvaccine.covid19.health.nz
2. Click “Book or register for your vaccine”
3. Select your proffered language (English or Maori), click ‘continue’
4. Follow the simple steps. If you need language assistance call 0800 28 29 26