• New Zealand Regions
      • Hawke's Bay
      • Bay of Plenty
      • Waikato
      • Whanganui
      • Manawatu
      • Northland
      • Auckland
      • Gisborne
      • Taranaki
      • Wellington
      • West Coast
      • Nelson
      • Canterbury
      • Otago
      • Marlborough
      • Southland

      Hawke's Bay

      View Homepage

      Beaches, wineries and Art Deco. The Hawke's Bay has a diverse economy, including business services that support its sectors to be the second largest contributor to regional GDP in the country. A popular tourist destination, the region has some of the countries best restaurants as well as stunning scenery, markets and festivals.



      Bay of Plenty

      View Homepage

      The Bay of Plenty is officially New Zealand's sunniest destination, enjoying short-lived winters and long summer days. The Region offers some of the country's most spectacular views and many ways to enjoy the pristine scenery and natural wonders. Visitors also enjoy exploring the Bay's Māori heritage and pre-European roots.


      OpotikiOpotiki iSiteKawerauWhakatane


      View Homepage

      The Waikato is known for its rolling plains, fertile land and the mighty Waikato River. The region is the fourth largest regional economy in New Zealand, with a strong focus on primary production and associated manufacturing.


      South WaikatoWaikato District


      View Homepage

      Welcome to Whanganui. This is our place; where history is full of stories, legends and rich legacy. Where a thriving arts scene, creativity and evolving culture inspire our modern lives. Where breath-taking natural landscapes capture imaginations at every turn.


      View Homepage

      Located in the lower North Island, Manawatu is heartland New Zealand, offering an authentic Kiwi experience.

      The main in the region are Palmerston North, most notable for Massey University. Palmerston has a vibrant, arts and culture scene.

      The region's economy is based on food production and processing, research and education. The region is also home for the New Zealand defence force.


      View Homepage

      Northland was originally home to some of our country's first human inhabitants. Today, it is one of the fastest growing regions in New Zealand and home to nearly 189,000 people. Rich in culture and history, the region boasts a stunning natural environment.


      View Homepage

      Auckland Region stretches from the the beaches of the Pacific Ocean in the east to the expansive beaches of the rugged west coast of the Tasman Sea. Auckland City, the largest urban area in New Zealand is considered the main economic center of New Zealand and a popular destination for international students and travellers.


      View Homepage

      Gisborne is a Region on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island. It's known for wineries and surf beaches such as Makorori. The region has maintained a strong Maori heritage. The region's economy is made up mainly of agriculture, horticulture and forestry.


      View Homepage

      Taranaki is a coastal and mountainous region on the western side of New Zealand's North Island. Its landscape is dominated by Mount Taranaki, its namesake volcano, which lies within the rainforested Egmont National Park.

      The port city of New Plymouth is the area's cultural and commercial hub. Taranaki's economy is diverse and includes dairy, oil and gas. The region is the highest contributor or national GDP per capita. 


      View Homepage

      The Wellington Region covers Wellington city in the south, Upper and Lower Hutt valleys to the north-east, and Porirua to the north-west. The region takes its name from Wellington, New Zealand's capital city.

      Wellington is famous for its arts and culture scene and is also the centre of New Zealand's film industry.

      West Coast

      View Homepage

      The West Coast, or as some locals call it, the "Wild West", is a long thin region that runs down the South Island's west coast.

      The region has the lowest population in all of New Zealand. It is famous for its rugged natural scenery such as the Pancake Rocks, the Blue Pools of Haast, and the glaciers.

      The main industries in the region are dairy farming and mining. Tourism also plays an important role.

      Nelson – Tasman

      View Homepage

      Nelson Tasman is an extraordinary, vibrant region where art and businesses thrive together among a stunning natural landscape. With one in five people internationally born, Nelson Tasman has 48 different cultures living in its environs.

      The region prides its self on being New Zealand’s leading Research and Development areas, with the highest proportion of people working in the research, science and tech sectors out of anywhere in New Zealand.


      View Homepage

      Canterbury is a region on New Zealand’s South Island marked by grassy plains, clear lakes and snow-capped mountains. Its largest city, Christchurch, is famed for its art scene and green spaces.


      View Homepage

      There are few places in the world which will leave you with a lasting sense of difference. Central Otago is undoubtedly one of them from its landscapes, its seasons, its people, its products and experiences.


      View Homepage

      Marlborough Region is on the north-eastern corner of the South Island. The region is well known for its winemaking industry, and the Marlborough Sounds, an extensive network of coastal waterways, peninsulas and islands.

      Apart from the wine industry, aquaculture, agriculture and tourism play an important role in the local economy.


      View Homepage

      Southland is New Zealand’s most southerly region and includes the World Heritage ranked Fiordland National Park.

      The region's only city Invercargill offers a relaxed pace of life with wide streets, little traffic, spacious parks and gardens, striking Victorian and Edwardian architecture and impressive sporting facilities including New Zealand’s first indoor velodrome. Southland's location is such that views of Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights are common.

    • [insert page="132286"]

Council Licensing

Food Safety License

All businesses selling and trading in food more than once a year must be registered and operate under one of the following:

  • Template Food Control Plan – people who manufacture and prepare food
  • National Programme 3, e.g. Retailers that handle food but do not prepare it such as service stations.
  • National Programme 2, e.g. Food service provider to preschool children.
  • National Programme 1, e.g. coffee carts
  • Custom Food Control Plan – Register with Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) not Council.

How to apply
If you are a new food business or are a current business who is transitioning to the Food Act 2014; you need to complete an application form for registration and scope of operations document and submit these to Council. Contact a staff member in the Economic Development Department for the suitable form.

Alcohol Licensing
If you own, operate or manage a business or venue, where alcohol will be sold or supplied, you need to be familiar with the laws and regulations that apply to alcohol. You must ensure that you have the correct license.There are four types of Alcohol Licence with various categories as listed below:

  • On licence – An On Licence is required to authorise the licensee to sell and supply alcohol from a specific premises to be consumed on the premises.
  • Off licence -An Off Licence is required to authorise the licensee to sell and deliver liquor from a specific premises to be consumed elsewhere.
  • club licence -A club licence is required to authorise the licensee to sell and supply alcohol to authorised customers for consumption on the premises. An authorised customer means a person who is a member of the club, a guest accompanied by the member or a member of another club with reciprocal visiting rights.
  • Special licence -A special licence is required to authorise the licensee to sell and supply alcohol to people attending an event described in the licence. Special Liquor Licence applications must be lodged with Council at least 20 working days before the event.

Manager’s Certificate
It is a requirement under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 that at all times when alcohol is being sold or supplied to the public a duty manager is responsible for compliance. A duty manager’s certificate authorises the holder to manage any licensed premises. To be eligible to apply for a Manager Certificate you must meet the following requirements:

  • The minimum age requirement is twenty years of age.
  • Six months experience at licensed premises in the hospitality, grocery or liquor industries.
  • Licence controller qualification (LCQ) from an approved course provider.
  • Photo ID (Passport, HANZ 18+, drivers licence).
  • Reference from your current employer stating; training, experience and character.
  • Work Visa issued by Immigration New Zealand (if applicable).
  • The first certificate is issued for 12 months; a renewed certificate is issued for a three year period.
  • All applications are sent to the police and also to the licensing inspector. You may be contacted by the licensing inspector to conduct a brief interview. If there are no objections, the certificate will be issued. If opposed, your application may be heard at a public hearing and will involve your local council’s Licensing Committee. Once issued the certificate is valid for one year and then an application for renewal is made.

    Renewal of a Manager’s certificate
    Managers whose records are on file with the council will be sent a renewal application no less than a month before the certificate is due to expire. It will be sent to the postal address that is on file. Included as part of the application for renewal is a questionnaire to test your knowledge of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. This must be completed correctly for your application to begin to be processed. If you hold a Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ) under the Sale of Liquor Act 1989 and have not completed and provided a Bridging Test Certificate then you will be required to undertake a new LCQ course outlining the units related to the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. It is important to let us know if your address changes between renewals, so you receive the information in a timely manner. It is the responsibility of the certificate holder to ensure an application for renewal is lodged prior to the expiry date. If your certificate expires before an application for renewal is lodged then your certificate is no longer current and an application for new manager’s certificate must be applied for. New certificates are valid for one year.

    Temporary Authority for On-Licence/Off-Licence
    Acting Manager:
    An acting manager can be appointed when a duty manager is ill, absent or on annual leave for a period of no more than three weeks at any one time and for a maximum of six weeks in a 12 month period. It is not necessary for this person to apply for a Manager’s Certificate. If the appointment is to be for more than 48 hours then you must contact the council, in writing, prior to their start date.

    On, Off and Club Licences

    The aim of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 is not to restrict liquor sale and supply, but to promote safe and legal drinking. To sell alcohol, you must ensure that you have the correct alcohol licence.

    On Licence
    An on licence allows the sale or supply of alcohol for consumption on your premises. Examples of premises that require an on licence to sell or supply alcohol include: • restaurant (includes BYO): tavern, bar or pub, nightclub, hotel, cinema or theatre, function centre, or conveyance such as a boat, bus, plane or train. Alcohol must not be removed from the premises.

    Off Licence
    An off licence allows the holder to sell or supply alcohol for use off the licensed premises. Examples of premises that require an on licence to sell or supply alcohol include: supermarket, bottle store, grocery store, remove sales premises (online order), brewery, winery. Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, dairies, petrol stations and convenience stores may not sell alcohol. Supermarkets and grocery stores are only able to sell beer and wine to the public. Alcohol must be consumed off the premises.

    Club Licence
    A club licence allows a club to sell or supply alcohol for consumption on the premises to: members, guests accompanies by a member, members of other clubs who hold reciprocal visiting rights. Holders of a club licence must ensure whilst the premises are open for the sale and supply of alcohol, that any alcohol not sold or supplied by the club is not consumed. The holder of a club licence must take all practicable steps to ensure at all times there is an appointed secretary of the club. Any changes of the secretary must be notified to our licensing inspectors within 10 days of appointment. Any profit from the sale of alcohol must belong to the club.

    How to Apply
    The council has application forms which you can complete. To get the application for which best suites you please call the council and ask for the licensing department.

    Calculating the fees
    The alcohol licensing fees are set at a national level by the Government. Important details to note are: An annual fee is payable on the anniversary of your premise licence. Licences for premises are based on a cost/risk-based approach for alcohol licensing fees. Contact the council to get more information about applying for a licence as well as the fee structure.

    Related Articles