• New Zealand Regions
      • Hawke's Bay
      • Bay of Plenty
      • Waikato
      • Whanganui
      • Manawatu
      • Northland
      • Auckland
      • Gisborne
      • Taranaki
      • Wellington
      • West Coast
      • Nelson
      • Canterbury
      • Otago
      • Marlborough
      • Southland

      Hawke's Bay

      View Homepage

      Beaches, wineries and Art Deco. The Hawke's Bay has a diverse economy, including business services that support its sectors to be the second largest contributor to regional GDP in the country. A popular tourist destination, the region has some of the countries best restaurants as well as stunning scenery, markets and festivals.



      Bay of Plenty

      View Homepage

      The Bay of Plenty is officially New Zealand's sunniest destination, enjoying short-lived winters and long summer days. The Region offers some of the country's most spectacular views and many ways to enjoy the pristine scenery and natural wonders. Visitors also enjoy exploring the Bay's Māori heritage and pre-European roots.


      OpotikiOpotiki iSiteKawerauWhakatane


      View Homepage

      The Waikato is known for its rolling plains, fertile land and the mighty Waikato River. The region is the fourth largest regional economy in New Zealand, with a strong focus on primary production and associated manufacturing.


      South WaikatoWaikato District


      View Homepage

      Welcome to Whanganui. This is our place; where history is full of stories, legends and rich legacy. Where a thriving arts scene, creativity and evolving culture inspire our modern lives. Where breath-taking natural landscapes capture imaginations at every turn.


      View Homepage

      Located in the lower North Island, Manawatu is heartland New Zealand, offering an authentic Kiwi experience.

      The main in the region are Palmerston North, most notable for Massey University. Palmerston has a vibrant, arts and culture scene.

      The region's economy is based on food production and processing, research and education. The region is also home for the New Zealand defence force.


      View Homepage

      Northland was originally home to some of our country's first human inhabitants. Today, it is one of the fastest growing regions in New Zealand and home to nearly 189,000 people. Rich in culture and history, the region boasts a stunning natural environment.


      View Homepage

      Auckland Region stretches from the the beaches of the Pacific Ocean in the east to the expansive beaches of the rugged west coast of the Tasman Sea. Auckland City, the largest urban area in New Zealand is considered the main economic center of New Zealand and a popular destination for international students and travellers.


      View Homepage

      Gisborne is a Region on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island. It's known for wineries and surf beaches such as Makorori. The region has maintained a strong Maori heritage. The region's economy is made up mainly of agriculture, horticulture and forestry.


      View Homepage

      Taranaki is a coastal and mountainous region on the western side of New Zealand's North Island. Its landscape is dominated by Mount Taranaki, its namesake volcano, which lies within the rainforested Egmont National Park.

      The port city of New Plymouth is the area's cultural and commercial hub. Taranaki's economy is diverse and includes dairy, oil and gas. The region is the highest contributor or national GDP per capita. 


      View Homepage

      The Wellington Region covers Wellington city in the south, Upper and Lower Hutt valleys to the north-east, and Porirua to the north-west. The region takes its name from Wellington, New Zealand's capital city.

      Wellington is famous for its arts and culture scene and is also the centre of New Zealand's film industry.

      West Coast

      View Homepage

      The West Coast, or as some locals call it, the "Wild West", is a long thin region that runs down the South Island's west coast.

      The region has the lowest population in all of New Zealand. It is famous for its rugged natural scenery such as the Pancake Rocks, the Blue Pools of Haast, and the glaciers.

      The main industries in the region are dairy farming and mining. Tourism also plays an important role.

      Nelson – Tasman

      View Homepage

      Nelson Tasman is an extraordinary, vibrant region where art and businesses thrive together among a stunning natural landscape. With one in five people internationally born, Nelson Tasman has 48 different cultures living in its environs.

      The region prides its self on being New Zealand’s leading Research and Development areas, with the highest proportion of people working in the research, science and tech sectors out of anywhere in New Zealand.


      View Homepage

      Canterbury is a region on New Zealand’s South Island marked by grassy plains, clear lakes and snow-capped mountains. Its largest city, Christchurch, is famed for its art scene and green spaces.


      View Homepage

      There are few places in the world which will leave you with a lasting sense of difference. Central Otago is undoubtedly one of them from its landscapes, its seasons, its people, its products and experiences.


      View Homepage

      Marlborough Region is on the north-eastern corner of the South Island. The region is well known for its winemaking industry, and the Marlborough Sounds, an extensive network of coastal waterways, peninsulas and islands.

      Apart from the wine industry, aquaculture, agriculture and tourism play an important role in the local economy.


      View Homepage

      Southland is New Zealand’s most southerly region and includes the World Heritage ranked Fiordland National Park.

      The region's only city Invercargill offers a relaxed pace of life with wide streets, little traffic, spacious parks and gardens, striking Victorian and Edwardian architecture and impressive sporting facilities including New Zealand’s first indoor velodrome. Southland's location is such that views of Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights are common.

    • [insert page="132286"]

Rates and Property

Local government’s receive the majority of their funding through rates, a tax on local property.

You only pay rates on property that you own. People who are renting do not need to pay rates.

You can search for rates and property information on the Council website.

How to pay rates

Council’s Finance Division administers the rating process. Rates are invoiced quarterly and are normally due on the 7th of March, June, September and December. Arrangements can be made for regular (weekly, fortnightly, monthly or quarterly) payments of rates. Penalties are applied for late payments. Policies are in place for remissions and postponements.

Rates may be paid using one of the following methods:

  • Cash
  • Cheque
Land Information Memoranda (LIM)

A LIM is a report prepared by the Council that contains a summary of any relevant information that the Council has on file about a property, including the land and buildings. LIMs are issued in accordance with Section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987. The Act requires that LIMs are issued within 10 working days of request and specifies minimum information to be included in the report.

If you are considering purchasing a property, it is recommended that you obtain a LIM before finalising the purchase. LIMs are often obtained by property owners considering selling a property and also by developers and consultants planning property projects. Anyone can request a LIM report on any property.

LIMs can usually be emailed to the customer – subject on occasion to limitations on the size of attachments. Reports can also be posted or couriered. Please specify on your application form how you would like to receive your report and ensure your email address and/or mailing address are recorded correctly.
A LIM application form must be completed for each property. We no longer offer hard copy forms and applications are all to be completed online.

Please note that some properties may require Council to produce more than one LIM, with fees applying to each LIM report issued. Generally, a separate LIM report will be required for each Certificate of Title. However this is not always the case for every property. Please contact Council for further information if required.

Payment must be made on application.

Payment may be made by cash or eftpos at a Council office, by cheque, or by internet banking / direct credit. If paying by internet banking, we recommend the use of your bank’s Bill Payment service. Council is pre-registered with all main banks. Please ensure you include your name and ‘LIM’ in the reference fields with your payment. (Do not include the property valuation number with the payment).

What information will be in a LIM?

What information will be in a LIM?

  • Land contamination information
  • Information from the Council Hazards database (flooding, landfill, tomos, noise from roads or nearby industry etc.)
  • Advice if the property has housed a Hazardous Activity or Industry (can have significant implications under new National Environmental Standards)
  • Location of Council water, sewer and storm water pipes or drains (may limit ability to build on the land)
  • Location of any protected natural areas, features, trees or buildings on the property
  • Advice of Resource Consents issued to neighbouring properties
  • Details of Resource Consents relating to the property
  • Property zoning information
  • Building warrant of fitness / compliance schedule information
  • Aerial photograph with indication of boundary location (not guaranteed survey quality)
  • Refuse and recycling collection information
  • License details – ie food premises, liquor, health, hairdressing
  • Rating valuation information
  • Annual rates for the property
  • Current rates balance including arrears if any
  • If there are extra charges for water supply via a water meter
  • Swimming pool fence compliance
  • Building permit and consent information (this may include permits or consents for buildings etc that are no longer on the property)
  • Any notices, orders or requisitions on the land or buildings