The Bay of Plenty Region maintains one Provincial level international partnership between the Eastern Bay of Plenty and Jiangxi Province.
The relationship was established in 2019 to promote economic and community cooperation and friendship between the people’s of Jiangxi and the Bay of Plenty.
About Jiangxi Province
Jiangxi is an inland province in South-East China. The Province has a population of 49 million people. The average household disposable income in the Province is around 6,000 NZD per year. Unlike many of the coastal provinces, Jiangxi is still enjoying high GDP growth of about 9%. The most significant contributors to the economy are Traditional Medicine and Pharmaceuticals, Tourism, Horticulture and Food Processing, Aviation (building equipment), and VR technologies. The Province has prioritised the environment in its development plans, with over 70% forested, the region also has two UNESCO Natural World Heritage Sites. The Province has a strong cultural heritage, being home to Tang Xianzu (1550-1616) the Chinese equivalent of Shakespeare.
The goals of the relationship are to encourage economic and community development in the Bay of Plenty and Jiangxi.
• Grow export education in the EBOP by $8 million by 2022.
• To grow the Eastern Bay of Plenty Tourism sector by $5 million through Chinese visitors by 2022.
• Establishment of a Bay of Plenty Centre in Jiangxi and a Jiangxi Centre for the BOP by 2022.
• To streamline pathways to market for interested Bay of Plenty businesses wishing to export to China.
• To promote research and education institution partnerships in the areas of Healthcare, Education, Traditional Medicine and Aviation.
• To establish scholarship programmes for students to encourage two-way participation in cultural events by 2020.
• To run a Jiangxi Work Experience programme for EBOP residents to gain overseas work experience in Jiangxi commencing in 2021.
• Encourage school-school exchanges between Jiangxi and the Eastern Bay of Plenty.
The relationship was developed under the guidance of the Eastern Bay of Plenty Joint Committee (Whakatane, Opotiki and Kawerau).
In 2016 an Eastern Bay International Strategy was developed. The strategy outlined the opportunities for international engagement, prospective international partners, an action plan and measures of success.
In 2017 Jiangxi Province was selected out of a list of over 20 potential partners. Negotiations here held between the Jiangxi Foreign Affairs office and the Eastern Bay of Plenty’s International Relations representative.
In November 2018 a Memorandum Of Understanding was written up by the two parties. The agreement outlined specific community and economic development goals as well as measures for success.
In June 2019 a delegation of 16 local and central government officials, education and private businesses people travelled to Nanchang, Jiangxi Province for the official signing ceremony.