Toll Roads

The Transport Agency currently has three toll roads: the Northern Gateway Toll Road north of Auckland, and the Tauranga Eastern Link Toll Road and the Takitimu Drive Toll Road, both in Tauranga.

  • Northern Gateway Toll Road: is a 7.5km motorway north of Auckland between Silverdale and Pūhoi, part of State Highway 1 (SH1). Heading north, the toll road begins just before Ōrewa and ends after the Johnstone Hills near Pūhoi. The toll road gives you a choice between a more direct route or the scenic State Highway 17 via Ōrewa.
  • Tauranga Eastern Link Toll Road: is a 15km tolled section of State Highway 2 (SH2) running between the Domain Road interchange, near Pāpāmoa, and the Paengaroa roundabout (SH2 and SH33 to Whakatāne and Rotorua). The free alternative route takes you on the Te Puke Highway, through Te Puke.
  • The Takitimu Drive Toll Road: is a 5km road that bypasses the Tauranga city centre and takes traffic from State Highway 29 (SH29) to State Highway 2 (SH2) in the direction of the Port of Tauranga and Mt Maunganui. The alternative routes are via Cameron Road or Cambridge/Moffat Roads.


Ways to pay

  • Pay as you go: Paying as you go is a great option for casual or infrequent users of the toll roads. You can pay for a toll here.
  • Accounts: Toll accounts make paying your tolls easy. They cover all toll roads and as many different vehicles as you like.Go to the NZ Transport Authority website to set up an account.


Didn’t pay?
If you have used a toll road and not paid your toll within five working days, you may receive a Toll Payment Notice. The notice will contain details of the trip and the amount to pay. This notice is sent to the person registered to the vehicle that used the toll road. There is an administration fee of $4.90 per notice issued.
If a toll payment notice is not paid within 28 days, any unpaid tolls and administration costs will be referred to a debt collection agency. An infringement notice with an additional fee of $40 for each unpaid toll may also be issued.
Infringement notices that are not paid will be referred to the Ministry of Justice for collection as an unpaid fine.


What to do if you weren’t driving
If you’ve received a toll payment notice as the registered person of the vehicle, but were not the person driving, you can complete the Statutory declaration form and send it in to:
NZ Transport Agency Toll Roads
Private Bag 11777
Palmerston North 4442

Related Content