Employment in the Eastern Bay of Plenty
Median household income, 2020
The Eastern Bay of Plenty offers many employment opportunities for those wanting to work. There are many job openings for specialists in industries such as medicine, education, engineering and IT. Locally, the highest skill-shortage gaps are:
- Construction and Infrastructure: Management machinery operation, carpentry, engineering (civil, industrial, mechanical), computer science, road construction, planning and resource management.
- Dairy Farming and Processing: Engineering, dairy production, logistics, pasture and animal management, milking, dairy technicians.
- Logistics: Haulage, truck drivers, machinery operators, planners, project managers.
- Manuka Honey: Science researcher, marketing, product development, beekeepers, manuka growing and farming, business management, logistics
- Kiwifruit: Orchard operations, harvesting, tractor and forklift drivers.
- Boat building: engineering, welding, design, marketing, logistics.
- Forestry: Hauling, big machine operators, silviculture.
- Timber manufacturing: Design and manufacturing, engineering, hauling, logistics.
- Geothermal: Technician, electrical, engineering, drilling.
- Social Services professionals: counselling, social workers, drug and alcohol councillors, elderly care
Generally, there is a shortage of labour for the horticulture sector. Jobs include fruit picking, plant care, packhouse workers. There are also opportunities in the tourism and hospitality sector.