• New Zealand Regions
      • Hawke's Bay
      • Bay of Plenty
      • Waikato
      • Whanganui
      • Manawatu
      • Northland
      • Auckland
      • Gisborne
      • Taranaki
      • Wellington
      • West Coast
      • Nelson
      • Canterbury
      • Otago
      • Marlborough
      • Southland

      Hawke's Bay

      View Homepage

      Beaches, wineries and Art Deco. The Hawke's Bay has a diverse economy, including business services that support its sectors to be the second largest contributor to regional GDP in the country. A popular tourist destination, the region has some of the countries best restaurants as well as stunning scenery, markets and festivals.



      Bay of Plenty

      View Homepage

      The Bay of Plenty is officially New Zealand's sunniest destination, enjoying short-lived winters and long summer days. The Region offers some of the country's most spectacular views and many ways to enjoy the pristine scenery and natural wonders. Visitors also enjoy exploring the Bay's Māori heritage and pre-European roots.


      OpotikiOpotiki iSiteKawerauWhakatane


      View Homepage

      The Waikato is known for its rolling plains, fertile land and the mighty Waikato River. The region is the fourth largest regional economy in New Zealand, with a strong focus on primary production and associated manufacturing.


      South WaikatoWaikato District


      View Homepage

      Welcome to Whanganui. This is our place; where history is full of stories, legends and rich legacy. Where a thriving arts scene, creativity and evolving culture inspire our modern lives. Where breath-taking natural landscapes capture imaginations at every turn.


      View Homepage

      Located in the lower North Island, Manawatu is heartland New Zealand, offering an authentic Kiwi experience.

      The main in the region are Palmerston North, most notable for Massey University. Palmerston has a vibrant, arts and culture scene.

      The region's economy is based on food production and processing, research and education. The region is also home for the New Zealand defence force.


      View Homepage

      Northland was originally home to some of our country's first human inhabitants. Today, it is one of the fastest growing regions in New Zealand and home to nearly 189,000 people. Rich in culture and history, the region boasts a stunning natural environment.


      View Homepage

      Auckland Region stretches from the the beaches of the Pacific Ocean in the east to the expansive beaches of the rugged west coast of the Tasman Sea. Auckland City, the largest urban area in New Zealand is considered the main economic center of New Zealand and a popular destination for international students and travellers.


      View Homepage

      Gisborne is a Region on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island. It's known for wineries and surf beaches such as Makorori. The region has maintained a strong Maori heritage. The region's economy is made up mainly of agriculture, horticulture and forestry.


      View Homepage

      Taranaki is a coastal and mountainous region on the western side of New Zealand's North Island. Its landscape is dominated by Mount Taranaki, its namesake volcano, which lies within the rainforested Egmont National Park.

      The port city of New Plymouth is the area's cultural and commercial hub. Taranaki's economy is diverse and includes dairy, oil and gas. The region is the highest contributor or national GDP per capita. 


      View Homepage

      The Wellington Region covers Wellington city in the south, Upper and Lower Hutt valleys to the north-east, and Porirua to the north-west. The region takes its name from Wellington, New Zealand's capital city.

      Wellington is famous for its arts and culture scene and is also the centre of New Zealand's film industry.

      West Coast

      View Homepage

      The West Coast, or as some locals call it, the "Wild West", is a long thin region that runs down the South Island's west coast.

      The region has the lowest population in all of New Zealand. It is famous for its rugged natural scenery such as the Pancake Rocks, the Blue Pools of Haast, and the glaciers.

      The main industries in the region are dairy farming and mining. Tourism also plays an important role.

      Nelson – Tasman

      View Homepage

      Nelson Tasman is an extraordinary, vibrant region where art and businesses thrive together among a stunning natural landscape. With one in five people internationally born, Nelson Tasman has 48 different cultures living in its environs.

      The region prides its self on being New Zealand’s leading Research and Development areas, with the highest proportion of people working in the research, science and tech sectors out of anywhere in New Zealand.


      View Homepage

      Canterbury is a region on New Zealand’s South Island marked by grassy plains, clear lakes and snow-capped mountains. Its largest city, Christchurch, is famed for its art scene and green spaces.


      View Homepage

      There are few places in the world which will leave you with a lasting sense of difference. Central Otago is undoubtedly one of them from its landscapes, its seasons, its people, its products and experiences.


      View Homepage

      Marlborough Region is on the north-eastern corner of the South Island. The region is well known for its winemaking industry, and the Marlborough Sounds, an extensive network of coastal waterways, peninsulas and islands.

      Apart from the wine industry, aquaculture, agriculture and tourism play an important role in the local economy.


      View Homepage

      Southland is New Zealand’s most southerly region and includes the World Heritage ranked Fiordland National Park.

      The region's only city Invercargill offers a relaxed pace of life with wide streets, little traffic, spacious parks and gardens, striking Victorian and Edwardian architecture and impressive sporting facilities including New Zealand’s first indoor velodrome. Southland's location is such that views of Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights are common.

    • [insert page="132286"]

Making a Complaint Against Your Employer

A good working environment is undoubtedly desirable, not just for your well-being but for the productivity of the company or organisation that you are working for. We all try our best to as personable as possible in the workplace, but sometimes a high-stress environment can cause rifts and arguments, especially when there’s money on the line. Due to the laid back nature of New Zealand work culture, your boss may be less strict than what you are used to, but that’s not to say workplace complaints never happen.

Solving a Workplace Complaint
If you and your employer are not seeing eye to eye, there are many ways of approaching how to solve the issue. The most favourable methods usually involve the two (or more) of you coming to an agreement using the employee agreement and your minimum rights as the standard. However, sometimes that is not possible. If you can’t solve a workplace issue with your employer or believe you are being mistreated, some government services may be able to help.
You can make complaints about employers on the grounds of discrimination, harassment, unfair warnings, bad health and safety practices, holiday, contract or pay disputes; along with breaches of your other minimum rights and employee agreement. If you receive disciplinary action whilst at work, make sure you have any warning in writing, and that you make sure you fully understand why you have been warned.


Taking the First Step
The first way you should approach the complaint process is to directly email or write a letter to your boss laying out the complaint, explain why you are complaining and what you would like to see done to resolve your complaint. Give lots of information, so that your boss can respond fully and understands why you are complaining. It is crucial to make official complaints in writing, as it is harder to make notes of spoken interaction and you will need a record of everything said in the complaint if you want to take it further.
Arranging a meeting with your employer is a good step towards resolution. You should bring a union rep or another industry professional with you to the meeting if you feel as though this will aid your claim or help you and your employer understand the situation from a third-party perspective. Suppose you don’t want to set up the meeting yourself and your employer is reluctant to do so. In that case, you can contact Free Employment Mediation Services and have an independent mediator identify problems and solutions for your complaint.


Alternative Solutions
You could also contact a labour inspector. These are individuals who investigate what you are legally entitled to in a workplace and can provide a report about any unfair or dangerous practices. If you register your complaint within 90 days of the incident, you can contact the Employment Relations Authority (ERA). The ERA is a government service that will give advice on your complaint and can be used to set up a court case in employment court if your complaint is deemed severe enough. The ERA is likely to point you to mediation first, so you should use them as a last resort.
If you need legal advice, a community law centre can offer free advice and even organise meetings with an employment lawyer. If they feel you can resolve your complaint in court, they may even offer to represent you.

Related Content