• New Zealand Regions
      • Hawke's Bay
      • Bay of Plenty
      • Waikato
      • Whanganui
      • Manawatu
      • Northland
      • Auckland
      • Gisborne
      • Taranaki
      • Wellington
      • West Coast
      • Nelson
      • Canterbury
      • Otago
      • Marlborough
      • Southland

      Hawke's Bay

      View Homepage

      Beaches, wineries and Art Deco. The Hawke's Bay has a diverse economy, including business services that support its sectors to be the second largest contributor to regional GDP in the country. A popular tourist destination, the region has some of the countries best restaurants as well as stunning scenery, markets and festivals.



      Bay of Plenty

      View Homepage

      The Bay of Plenty is officially New Zealand's sunniest destination, enjoying short-lived winters and long summer days. The Region offers some of the country's most spectacular views and many ways to enjoy the pristine scenery and natural wonders. Visitors also enjoy exploring the Bay's Māori heritage and pre-European roots.


      OpotikiOpotiki iSiteKawerauWhakatane


      View Homepage

      The Waikato is known for its rolling plains, fertile land and the mighty Waikato River. The region is the fourth largest regional economy in New Zealand, with a strong focus on primary production and associated manufacturing.


      South WaikatoWaikato District


      View Homepage

      Welcome to Whanganui. This is our place; where history is full of stories, legends and rich legacy. Where a thriving arts scene, creativity and evolving culture inspire our modern lives. Where breath-taking natural landscapes capture imaginations at every turn.


      View Homepage

      Located in the lower North Island, Manawatu is heartland New Zealand, offering an authentic Kiwi experience.

      The main in the region are Palmerston North, most notable for Massey University. Palmerston has a vibrant, arts and culture scene.

      The region's economy is based on food production and processing, research and education. The region is also home for the New Zealand defence force.


      View Homepage

      Northland was originally home to some of our country's first human inhabitants. Today, it is one of the fastest growing regions in New Zealand and home to nearly 189,000 people. Rich in culture and history, the region boasts a stunning natural environment.


      View Homepage

      Auckland Region stretches from the the beaches of the Pacific Ocean in the east to the expansive beaches of the rugged west coast of the Tasman Sea. Auckland City, the largest urban area in New Zealand is considered the main economic center of New Zealand and a popular destination for international students and travellers.


      View Homepage

      Gisborne is a Region on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island. It's known for wineries and surf beaches such as Makorori. The region has maintained a strong Maori heritage. The region's economy is made up mainly of agriculture, horticulture and forestry.


      View Homepage

      Taranaki is a coastal and mountainous region on the western side of New Zealand's North Island. Its landscape is dominated by Mount Taranaki, its namesake volcano, which lies within the rainforested Egmont National Park.

      The port city of New Plymouth is the area's cultural and commercial hub. Taranaki's economy is diverse and includes dairy, oil and gas. The region is the highest contributor or national GDP per capita. 


      View Homepage

      The Wellington Region covers Wellington city in the south, Upper and Lower Hutt valleys to the north-east, and Porirua to the north-west. The region takes its name from Wellington, New Zealand's capital city.

      Wellington is famous for its arts and culture scene and is also the centre of New Zealand's film industry.

      West Coast

      View Homepage

      The West Coast, or as some locals call it, the "Wild West", is a long thin region that runs down the South Island's west coast.

      The region has the lowest population in all of New Zealand. It is famous for its rugged natural scenery such as the Pancake Rocks, the Blue Pools of Haast, and the glaciers.

      The main industries in the region are dairy farming and mining. Tourism also plays an important role.

      Nelson – Tasman

      View Homepage

      Nelson Tasman is an extraordinary, vibrant region where art and businesses thrive together among a stunning natural landscape. With one in five people internationally born, Nelson Tasman has 48 different cultures living in its environs.

      The region prides its self on being New Zealand’s leading Research and Development areas, with the highest proportion of people working in the research, science and tech sectors out of anywhere in New Zealand.


      View Homepage

      Canterbury is a region on New Zealand’s South Island marked by grassy plains, clear lakes and snow-capped mountains. Its largest city, Christchurch, is famed for its art scene and green spaces.


      View Homepage

      There are few places in the world which will leave you with a lasting sense of difference. Central Otago is undoubtedly one of them from its landscapes, its seasons, its people, its products and experiences.


      View Homepage

      Marlborough Region is on the north-eastern corner of the South Island. The region is well known for its winemaking industry, and the Marlborough Sounds, an extensive network of coastal waterways, peninsulas and islands.

      Apart from the wine industry, aquaculture, agriculture and tourism play an important role in the local economy.


      View Homepage

      Southland is New Zealand’s most southerly region and includes the World Heritage ranked Fiordland National Park.

      The region's only city Invercargill offers a relaxed pace of life with wide streets, little traffic, spacious parks and gardens, striking Victorian and Edwardian architecture and impressive sporting facilities including New Zealand’s first indoor velodrome. Southland's location is such that views of Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights are common.

    • [insert page="132286"]

When is OIO Consent Required

What is an “overseas person”?

Central to the consent regime is the definition of “overseas person”. The definition extends to:

(a) natural persons who are not New Zealand citizens or ordinarily resident in New Zealand;

(b) a body corporate incorporated outside New Zealand;

(c) a body corporate (including a New Zealand company) which is a “25% or more subsidiary” of a body corporate incorporated outside New Zealand;

(d) a body corporate where an overseas person has or overseas persons have:

  • 25% or more of a class of securities; 
  • the power to control the composition of 25% or more of the governing body; or
  • the power to control the exercise of 25% or more of the voting power at a meeting; and

(e) partnerships, unincorporated joint ventures, other unincorporated bodies, trusts and unit trusts, where relevant overseas ownership or control thresholds are exceeded.


What is “sensitive land”?

“Sensitive land” includes a freehold interest, or a leasehold interest of more than three years, in land of the following types:

(a) non-urban land areas greater than five hectares;

(b) land on certain specified islands;

(c) other parcels of land that are classified as “sensitive” due to their inclusion of, or proximity to, waterways, parks, conservation areas, or areas of historic significance; or

(d) residential land, being property categorised as “residential” or “lifestyle”.

Generally, overseas persons who are not “ordinarily resident” in New Zealand (and hold the requisite residence class visa to do so) will require OIO consent before they are able to acquire residential land. Investors or developers who are overseas persons may be able to obtain consent to purchase residential land where they will increase the housing supply (ie by constructing dwellings) and commit to sell the properties once the investment is complete

Australian and Singapore investors who are ordinarily resident in New Zealand and will not need OIO consent to acquire residential land that is not otherwise sensitive.

A material investment in a business that owns or leases sensitive land will usually constitute an acquisition of “sensitive land” for the purposes of the Overseas Investment Act.


What are “significant business assets”?

An acquisition of “significant business assets” includes:

(a) acquiring 25% or more stake (or increasing an existing 25% or more stake) in a business where the consideration paid for the New Zealand part of the investment exceeds NZ$100 million;

(b) acquiring 25% or more stake (or increasing an existing 25% or more stake) in a business where the value of the New Zealand assets of the business exceed NZ$100 million;

(c) acquiring any property in New Zealand (including goodwill and other intangible assets) for more than NZ$100 million; or

(d) establishing a business in New Zealand where the expenditure incurred exceeds NZ$100 million.

The NZ$100 million threshold is increased to NZ$536 million under certain circumstances for Australian non-government investors, and NZ$200 million for certain countries which have trade agreements with New Zealand (including countries which are party to the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership).



Investments by an “associate” of an overseas person are also captured. The concept of association includes situations of control, agency, acting jointly or in concert and participation in an overseas investment as a consequent of “any arrangement or understanding”.

Related Content