• New Zealand Regions
      • Hawke's Bay
      • Bay of Plenty
      • Waikato
      • Whanganui
      • Manawatu
      • Northland
      • Auckland
      • Gisborne
      • Taranaki
      • Wellington
      • West Coast
      • Nelson
      • Canterbury
      • Otago
      • Marlborough
      • Southland

      Hawke's Bay

      View Homepage

      Beaches, wineries and Art Deco. The Hawke's Bay has a diverse economy, including business services that support its sectors to be the second largest contributor to regional GDP in the country. A popular tourist destination, the region has some of the countries best restaurants as well as stunning scenery, markets and festivals.



      Bay of Plenty

      View Homepage

      The Bay of Plenty is officially New Zealand's sunniest destination, enjoying short-lived winters and long summer days. The Region offers some of the country's most spectacular views and many ways to enjoy the pristine scenery and natural wonders. Visitors also enjoy exploring the Bay's Māori heritage and pre-European roots.


      OpotikiOpotiki iSiteKawerauWhakatane


      View Homepage

      The Waikato is known for its rolling plains, fertile land and the mighty Waikato River. The region is the fourth largest regional economy in New Zealand, with a strong focus on primary production and associated manufacturing.


      South WaikatoWaikato District


      View Homepage

      Welcome to Whanganui. This is our place; where history is full of stories, legends and rich legacy. Where a thriving arts scene, creativity and evolving culture inspire our modern lives. Where breath-taking natural landscapes capture imaginations at every turn.


      View Homepage

      Located in the lower North Island, Manawatu is heartland New Zealand, offering an authentic Kiwi experience.

      The main in the region are Palmerston North, most notable for Massey University. Palmerston has a vibrant, arts and culture scene.

      The region's economy is based on food production and processing, research and education. The region is also home for the New Zealand defence force.


      View Homepage

      Northland was originally home to some of our country's first human inhabitants. Today, it is one of the fastest growing regions in New Zealand and home to nearly 189,000 people. Rich in culture and history, the region boasts a stunning natural environment.


      View Homepage

      Auckland Region stretches from the the beaches of the Pacific Ocean in the east to the expansive beaches of the rugged west coast of the Tasman Sea. Auckland City, the largest urban area in New Zealand is considered the main economic center of New Zealand and a popular destination for international students and travellers.


      View Homepage

      Gisborne is a Region on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island. It's known for wineries and surf beaches such as Makorori. The region has maintained a strong Maori heritage. The region's economy is made up mainly of agriculture, horticulture and forestry.


      View Homepage

      Taranaki is a coastal and mountainous region on the western side of New Zealand's North Island. Its landscape is dominated by Mount Taranaki, its namesake volcano, which lies within the rainforested Egmont National Park.

      The port city of New Plymouth is the area's cultural and commercial hub. Taranaki's economy is diverse and includes dairy, oil and gas. The region is the highest contributor or national GDP per capita. 


      View Homepage

      The Wellington Region covers Wellington city in the south, Upper and Lower Hutt valleys to the north-east, and Porirua to the north-west. The region takes its name from Wellington, New Zealand's capital city.

      Wellington is famous for its arts and culture scene and is also the centre of New Zealand's film industry.

      West Coast

      View Homepage

      The West Coast, or as some locals call it, the "Wild West", is a long thin region that runs down the South Island's west coast.

      The region has the lowest population in all of New Zealand. It is famous for its rugged natural scenery such as the Pancake Rocks, the Blue Pools of Haast, and the glaciers.

      The main industries in the region are dairy farming and mining. Tourism also plays an important role.

      Nelson – Tasman

      View Homepage

      Nelson Tasman is an extraordinary, vibrant region where art and businesses thrive together among a stunning natural landscape. With one in five people internationally born, Nelson Tasman has 48 different cultures living in its environs.

      The region prides its self on being New Zealand’s leading Research and Development areas, with the highest proportion of people working in the research, science and tech sectors out of anywhere in New Zealand.


      View Homepage

      Canterbury is a region on New Zealand’s South Island marked by grassy plains, clear lakes and snow-capped mountains. Its largest city, Christchurch, is famed for its art scene and green spaces.


      View Homepage

      There are few places in the world which will leave you with a lasting sense of difference. Central Otago is undoubtedly one of them from its landscapes, its seasons, its people, its products and experiences.


      View Homepage

      Marlborough Region is on the north-eastern corner of the South Island. The region is well known for its winemaking industry, and the Marlborough Sounds, an extensive network of coastal waterways, peninsulas and islands.

      Apart from the wine industry, aquaculture, agriculture and tourism play an important role in the local economy.


      View Homepage

      Southland is New Zealand’s most southerly region and includes the World Heritage ranked Fiordland National Park.

      The region's only city Invercargill offers a relaxed pace of life with wide streets, little traffic, spacious parks and gardens, striking Victorian and Edwardian architecture and impressive sporting facilities including New Zealand’s first indoor velodrome. Southland's location is such that views of Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights are common.


Certificate of Acceptance

You can apply to Council for a certificate of acceptance for work done without a building consent, or in specific circumstances when a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) can’t be issued.

Under the Building Act 2004

A territorial authority may, on application, issue a certificate of acceptance for building work already done if:

  • The work was done by the owner or any predecessor in title of the owner; and a building consent was required for the work but not obtained
  • Section 42 (which relates to building work that had to be carried out urgently) applies
  • Subsections (3) and (4) of section 91 (which apply if a building consent authority that is not a territorial authority or a regional authority is unable or refuses to issue a code compliance certificate in relation to building work for which it granted a building consent) apply or
  • The work affects premises to which section 362A applies, a building consent for the work was obtained before 31 March 2005, the territorial authority is unable or refuses to issue a code compliance certificate for the work and the application for the certificate of acceptance was made before 31 March 2010.

A territorial authority may issue a certificate of acceptance only if it is satisfied, to the best of its knowledge and belief and on reasonable grounds, that, insofar as it could ascertain, the building work complies with the building code.

This section:

  • does not limit section 40 (which provides that a person must not carry out any building work except in accordance with a building consent and
  • accordingly, does not relieve a person from the requirement to obtain a building consent for building work
What do I do if my property has illegal building works?

If your property has illegal building works, you can engage a suitably qualified person to:

  • inspect the illegal works
  • draw up plans and a specification of work undertaken
  • apply to Council providing details of approximate age of works and compliance with the code of practice applicable at that time, and confirming that the works are deemed to be safe and sanitary.

Council will file the plans and certification on your property record. This does not mean that the building works are legal. They will remain illegal works, unless a change to the Building Act changes their status. There is a cost associated with this application.

Application for a Certificate of Acceptance is now available on our online consents portal.

Manage required documents

You need to provide all the documentation required for a building consent application, plus the following additional information:

  • Proof of construction compliance
  • Supporting evidence if the work is closed-in and unable to be inspected. This could include (but is not limited to):

◦ photographs
◦ relevant certification
◦ architectural drawings
◦ PS1 & PS4 from supervising engineers (if applicable)
◦ expert opinion reports – e.g. Building Surveyor’s report, Fire Reports and reports from suitably qualified professionals
◦ Statement of urgency – a letter providing the reason why the work is being done under urgency (see section 42 of the Building Act 2004, if applicable)
◦ Declaration of who completed the work

Issuing a Certificate of Acceptance

Council will issue a COA when it is has inspected or assessed the building work and is satisfied that it complies with the Building Code. (See section 17 of the Building Act for further explanation.)

If Council has not been able to assess and approve a building consent application, this may be because it could not inspect the work during construction to ensure it meets the Building Code. In this case, Council may not be able to ensure compliance.

As Council will have had no involvement in the work to date, the applicant is responsible for providing evidence to show that the work complies with section 17 of the Building Code. This is particularly important for those parts of the building work that Council cannot inspect, such as foundations.

The COA will include a list of the building work that Council has inspected and confirmed compliance for. Any building works that cannot be verified will also be listed and excluded on the COA.

As the result of a COA, Council may issue a Notice to Fix, or you may need to remove building work that does not comply with the Building Code. You may also need to get a building consent to carry out further work, to ensure that the building complies with the Building Code.

Refusing a Certificate of Acceptance

If your COA application doesn’t provide enough information or does not show compliance with the Building Code, Council may refuse to issue a COA.

You may also need to remove the building work if it is deemed dangerous or insanitary (under section 124 of the Building Act) or if approval under the Resource Management Act 1991 is not obtained.

If Council refuses to grant you a COA, you will receive written notice of this and details on the reasons for the refusal.

Third party reports

COAs cannot be issued for building work carried out prior to 1 July 1992 (before the Building Act) as this work was subject to the Building Bylaws and the Building Permit system.

It is not necessary to do anything about this work, but if you would like a record of the work undertaken recorded on your property file you may choose to get a third party report.