• New Zealand Regions
      • Hawke's Bay
      • Bay of Plenty
      • Waikato
      • Whanganui
      • Manawatu
      • Northland
      • Auckland
      • Gisborne
      • Taranaki
      • Wellington
      • West Coast
      • Nelson
      • Canterbury
      • Otago
      • Marlborough
      • Southland

      Hawke's Bay

      View Homepage

      Beaches, wineries and Art Deco. The Hawke's Bay has a diverse economy, including business services that support its sectors to be the second largest contributor to regional GDP in the country. A popular tourist destination, the region has some of the countries best restaurants as well as stunning scenery, markets and festivals.



      Bay of Plenty

      View Homepage

      The Bay of Plenty is officially New Zealand's sunniest destination, enjoying short-lived winters and long summer days. The Region offers some of the country's most spectacular views and many ways to enjoy the pristine scenery and natural wonders. Visitors also enjoy exploring the Bay's Māori heritage and pre-European roots.


      OpotikiOpotiki iSiteKawerauWhakatane


      View Homepage

      The Waikato is known for its rolling plains, fertile land and the mighty Waikato River. The region is the fourth largest regional economy in New Zealand, with a strong focus on primary production and associated manufacturing.


      South WaikatoWaikato District


      View Homepage

      Welcome to Whanganui. This is our place; where history is full of stories, legends and rich legacy. Where a thriving arts scene, creativity and evolving culture inspire our modern lives. Where breath-taking natural landscapes capture imaginations at every turn.


      View Homepage

      Located in the lower North Island, Manawatu is heartland New Zealand, offering an authentic Kiwi experience.

      The main in the region are Palmerston North, most notable for Massey University. Palmerston has a vibrant, arts and culture scene.

      The region's economy is based on food production and processing, research and education. The region is also home for the New Zealand defence force.


      View Homepage

      Northland was originally home to some of our country's first human inhabitants. Today, it is one of the fastest growing regions in New Zealand and home to nearly 189,000 people. Rich in culture and history, the region boasts a stunning natural environment.


      View Homepage

      Auckland Region stretches from the the beaches of the Pacific Ocean in the east to the expansive beaches of the rugged west coast of the Tasman Sea. Auckland City, the largest urban area in New Zealand is considered the main economic center of New Zealand and a popular destination for international students and travellers.


      View Homepage

      Gisborne is a Region on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island. It's known for wineries and surf beaches such as Makorori. The region has maintained a strong Maori heritage. The region's economy is made up mainly of agriculture, horticulture and forestry.


      View Homepage

      Taranaki is a coastal and mountainous region on the western side of New Zealand's North Island. Its landscape is dominated by Mount Taranaki, its namesake volcano, which lies within the rainforested Egmont National Park.

      The port city of New Plymouth is the area's cultural and commercial hub. Taranaki's economy is diverse and includes dairy, oil and gas. The region is the highest contributor or national GDP per capita. 


      View Homepage

      The Wellington Region covers Wellington city in the south, Upper and Lower Hutt valleys to the north-east, and Porirua to the north-west. The region takes its name from Wellington, New Zealand's capital city.

      Wellington is famous for its arts and culture scene and is also the centre of New Zealand's film industry.

      West Coast

      View Homepage

      The West Coast, or as some locals call it, the "Wild West", is a long thin region that runs down the South Island's west coast.

      The region has the lowest population in all of New Zealand. It is famous for its rugged natural scenery such as the Pancake Rocks, the Blue Pools of Haast, and the glaciers.

      The main industries in the region are dairy farming and mining. Tourism also plays an important role.

      Nelson – Tasman

      View Homepage

      Nelson Tasman is an extraordinary, vibrant region where art and businesses thrive together among a stunning natural landscape. With one in five people internationally born, Nelson Tasman has 48 different cultures living in its environs.

      The region prides its self on being New Zealand’s leading Research and Development areas, with the highest proportion of people working in the research, science and tech sectors out of anywhere in New Zealand.


      View Homepage

      Canterbury is a region on New Zealand’s South Island marked by grassy plains, clear lakes and snow-capped mountains. Its largest city, Christchurch, is famed for its art scene and green spaces.


      View Homepage

      There are few places in the world which will leave you with a lasting sense of difference. Central Otago is undoubtedly one of them from its landscapes, its seasons, its people, its products and experiences.


      View Homepage

      Marlborough Region is on the north-eastern corner of the South Island. The region is well known for its winemaking industry, and the Marlborough Sounds, an extensive network of coastal waterways, peninsulas and islands.

      Apart from the wine industry, aquaculture, agriculture and tourism play an important role in the local economy.


      View Homepage

      Southland is New Zealand’s most southerly region and includes the World Heritage ranked Fiordland National Park.

      The region's only city Invercargill offers a relaxed pace of life with wide streets, little traffic, spacious parks and gardens, striking Victorian and Edwardian architecture and impressive sporting facilities including New Zealand’s first indoor velodrome. Southland's location is such that views of Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights are common.

    • [insert page="132286"]

Home Renovations

In New Zealand there is a ‘Do it yourself (DIY)’ culture, where most people when doing renovations will opt to do all work, they physically can themselves. It is a way to reduce costs and really get involved.
Most home renovations can be done yourself, however there are some specialist home improvements like plumbing and electrics which will need professional help. If you don’t get professional help on these sorts of things then you could cause significant issues in your home or you could injure yourself.

Many alternations and renovations will require building consent. This is a formal approval of the building work that you are proposing This kind of work must be done by a licensed building practitioner. Under the Building Act 2004, these types of building work include:

  • structural building work – including alterations, additions, repiling and some demolition
  • most plumbing and drainage work where an additional fixture are being installed the relocation of buildings
  • some site work, for example, earthworks for a new extension
  • the construction of fences over 2.5 metres high
  • Construction of a retaining wall over 1.5 metres high
  • installing in a swimming pool or spa pool.

If you have worked out that you do need a building consent, then you will need to fill out an application form. You are not allowed to start any physical work on your building project until you have the building consent.
You need to make sure that your application has a solid foundation to make well informed, efficient and cost-effective decisions. Having a good application form will also help speed up processing and approval times.
You can usually get an application form from your local council or you can download one form their website. On their website they will have more information about whether they have any special requirements for you filling in the form.
If your home renovation needs building consent but you start work without one, you’re committing an offence and the penalties include fines of up to $200,000 and the removal of the work you’ve done.
Any building work in New Zealand must comply with the Building Code. The Building Code is contained in regulations under the Building Act 2004. The Act governs the building sector and sets out the rules for the construction, alteration, demolition and maintenance of new and existing buildings in New Zealand.
Any plans are assessed by building consent authorities (BCAs), who are usually the council, to make sure that the building complies with the Building Code. When they believe this to be true, they will issue building consent for the work so they can proceed.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) provide overall leadership of the building industry. They manage the system that regulates building work and make sure it is always up to date. This means they regularly review the Building Code and product documents to show ways to comply with it. If a dispute arises over compliance with the Building Code, then you can go to the MBIE for advice.

Related Content