English language

English language training in New Zealand is often called ESOL training (English for Speakers of Other Languages). Courses can specialise in everyday English to help with daily life, academic English for study, or business English for work. Courses are available from many different organisations and learning institutions and may be full-time or part-time.

Pre-purchasing tuition:

Some New Zealand visas have minimum English language requirements. You may need to take an English language test to show your level of fluency in English. For more information on accepted tests, visit the Immigration New Zealand website page below. You can check costs for these tests on the providers’ websites.

Secondary applicants (partners and dependents over 16) applying for residence under the skilled and business streams who are not able to show they meet a minimum standard of English will need to pre-purchase ESOL tuition.

If you have pre-purchased English language classes with your visa it means you can access approved courses at no extra cost.

Related Content