About the Ministry of Education
The Ministry of Education is the Government’s lead advisor on New Zealand’s education system. They shape the direction for education agencies and providers, and contribute to the Government’s goals for education.
The role of the Ministry of Education is:
- Develop strategic policy for the delivery of education
- Develop policies and run programmes and services focused on improving the community’s knowledge or and participating in the education system
- Make sure that education providers have the resources and support they need to develop services to students
- Are responsible for all education property owned by the Crown.
The vision of the Ministry of Education:
Every New Zealander:
- is strong in their national and cultural identity
- aspires for themselves and their children to achieve more
- has the choice and opportunity to be the best they can be
- is an active participant and citizen in creating a strong civil society
- is productive, valued and competitive in the world.
New Zealand and New Zealanders lead globally.